- Intall the latest sun java 6 and browser plugins by following the instructions here.
- Set JAVA_HOME and PATH in ~/.profile. An example is the following
export JAVA_HOME="/usr/lib/jvm/jdk1.6.0_31" export PATH="$JAVA_HOME/bin:$PATH"
- Install the mime type for "jnlp" files. In the terminal, type
xdg-mime install $JAVA_HOME/jre/lib/desktop/mime/packages/x-java-jnlp-file.xml
- Install the desktop file for "jnlp" files. In the terminal, type
cp $JAVA_HOME/jre/lib/desktop/applications/sun-javaws.desktop ~/.local/share/applications/And make sure it contains the following line
- Relate the mime type and the desktop file. Add the following line to ~/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list
- Configure Google Chrome browser to open the "jnlp" files automatically after downloading. Download any jnlp file in Google Chrome browser, and select "always open files of this type" in Google Chrome.
Tuesday, January 31, 2012
How to let Google Chrome automatically handle Java Web Start in Ubuntu
A previous post describes a way to run TopCoder Arena without launching from browsers. This post gives another way to launch Topcoder Arena in Google Chrome browser under Ubuntu. It should work for other Java Web Start applications, too.