TeXmacs is a great front-end for Maxima. Although both of them have native win32 port, the one for TeXmacs is no longer updated, and doesn't support some handy features such as directly inserting xfig figures etc. On the other hand, although TeXmacs has a updated version in cygwin, Maxima is not supported in cygwin.
In this post, I summarized how to make Texmacs in cygwin working with a native win32 Maxima.
- Install maxima-5.20.1.exe from http://sourceforge.net/projects/maxima/files/ to your preferred location (in my case, it's C:\Tools\Maxima-5.20.1").
- Add "C:\Tools\Maxima-5.20.1\bin" to PATH (right click "My Computer"->"Properties"->"Advanced"->"Environmental Variables").
- Install cygwin (select the following packages: xinit, texmacs, xfig, gvim) to your preferred location (in my case, it's C:\Tools\cygwin\)
- Open a cygwin shell, and type the following commands:
cp /usr/share/TeXmacs/plugins/maxima/lisp/texmacs-maxima-5.9.2.lisp ~/texmacs.lisp
- Edit C:\Tools\cygwin\usr\share\TeXmacs\plugins\maxima\progs\init-maxima.scm, and in the last section, change the following line
(:launch "maxima.bat -p texmacs.lisp")
- Now it's ready to go! Start Maxima in TeXmacs by Insert->Session->Maxima.